Independent Republican Cllr Davy Hyland

Monday 28 February 2011

Hyland to Contest Council Elections in May 2011

  • Will provide honest, effective representation of all the people
  • Has an impeccable track record
  • Will challenge the establishment parties
  • Has 20 years experience in local politics
DAVY Hyland has topped the polls each of the three times he was elected to council by the people of Newry.
Now, following a short spell away from politics, he has decided to run again to give the people of Newry fair, honest and effective representation on Newry and Mourne District Council as an independent candidate.
Explaining his decision to contest the local government elections on May 5, Davy said: “I believe council has become inert and is in need of a shake up. That was enough to make me consider trying again.

“I've watched with growing concern as schemes that were being talked about back when I was first elected made no progress and, in some cases, slipped away.”

“The situation with the Albert Basin, the sports complex, those things have been allowed to falter and fall. It's symptomatic of, what I think, is a wider lethargy that's set in at council and I believe the ratepayers aren't getting value for money.”
“I want to do what I can to change that and play my part in a more proactive and energetic council.”

Davy, a married father-of-two, spent three terms as a councillor on Newry and Mourne District Council, topping the poll at each election. He was an MLA at Stormont for a short period.

“Being in Stormont was also a factor in my decision to stand down. Back then it was dormant, an Ivory Tower and I felt very out of touch with the reasons I'd gotten into politics in the first place.”

“Politics is my passion – it's what I did my degree in, it's what I taught when I was a full-time teacher. Councils, even with their limited powers, can get things done and make a real difference to people's lives – that's what it's all about for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment